Thursday, October 28, 2010

Blog Assignment #9: Video Responses



     In Mr.McClung's blog post What I've Learned This Year, he makes many vital lessons clear. He starts off by telling about his first year in the educational field. He calls himself "young and inexperienced." But as the year progresses, he learns and grows in so many ways. This blog tells of the growth. He makes many points that, if read, will make you a better teacher. Those points are:

  • Read the Crowd
  • Be Flexible
  • Communicate
  • Be Reasonable
  • Don't Be Afraid of Technology
  • Listen to Your Students
  • Never Stop Learning
I think that these are very important lessons that are valuable to teachers everywhere. As teachers, our purpose is to mold the student mind the best way that we can -and that comes with the student comprehending the lesson. We have to know that we are teaching the students; we are not trying to impress other staff members or superiors. Our lesson plans should be flexible in a way that allows us to fully teach our topics and make sure they are comprehended -even if that means deterring away from our initial plan of attack. We must communicate and be reasonable with not only students, but faculty as well. We have to understand that technology is already a vital part of our modern era, so we have to embrace that for what it is.  We should always listen to what our students have to say. It will help build a relationship beyond comparison. And lastly, we should never stop learning, because no one knows absolutely everything. There is always something to be learned by everyone. 
     I believe that I really got a lot out of this post. I am nervous about my first years entering the educational world, but if I keep these points in mind, I think that the first years will run a little smoother. Mr.McClung was very good with his words and with each topic, he related it to a situation that is seemingly common. I hope that I am able to learn and mold as much from my first years of teaching like he has. 

3 comments:

  1. Donna,

    I couldn't agree with you more! I also think teachers need to teach for the students and change the lesson plan if need be. I really liked Mr. McClung's post, too. He gives a good insight about the first year of teaching and how much, as beginning teachers, we can learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna,
    I also got a lot out of Mr. McClung's post! I think it's vital for people who are just starting in the education field to share new experiences with each other. While a good lesson plan is important, the main thing to focus on is making sure the student is comprehending the lesson. I think communication is one of the most important things teachers need to focus on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Donna! Very well said, I love the sentence you wrote, "As teachers, our job is to mold the student mind the best way we can". That is so true. So many teachers today care too much about other things than the educational goals that they should set for their students. I don't think you have anything to worry about your first couple of years teaching. You will be a great teacher. Good Blog!!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete