Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Blog Project #3: C4T, 3

In my first post for Howard Rheingold, I commented on his blog post Learning, Playing, Designing: Video Games in School. In this post, Rheingold talks about this newly formed school in which students learn in an unconventional way. This school, called Quest to Learn, was founded by Katie Salen and her inspiration comes from children's fascination with video games. Katie quotes,
Games do really really well because they create a need to know in kids. In a game you have to learn to do something because you've been presented with a complex problem you don't know how to solve.
With this in mind, Salen creates a school where children receive missions in which they must solve over a specifically set period of time. I think that this is a very smart idea that Salen has come across. Children spend more time these days playing video games, so why not create a school in which they are doing virtually that all day, every day? I wish I would have known about this school when I was younger; I would have enrolled quick!

No comments:

Post a Comment